Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Back to School...with iGoogle?

Welcome back to school!  I know I've slacked...can you call it slacking when you haven't even written 10 posts?  Let's see if I can be better about posting some resources on this little blog. 

Every year, I try to evaluate the technology I've used in the past and the technology I've bookmarked to use, and decide what will make the cut.  This year, I think I am making a full commitment Google.  I have a tendency to overwhelm my students with technology.  We dabble with this and that, and store things here and there.  I forget that even though they are digital natives, they do not have the developmental skills to keep all of these resources organized.  So this year, I want t make a change. 

My school has finally heard my cries and gave all of our students Google accounts!  Because Google is basically taking over the Internet, and also other facets of our existence, I am thinking I am going to Google-tize my students! 

So here's what I'm thinking...

  • GMail accounts for email, obviously
  • Google Docs...no excuses for lost work!
  • Google Calendar for due dates and homework
  • Google Task for their personal To-Do lists
  • Google Notebook to...uh...take notes.  Paperless classroom?!?
  • Google Blogger for a class blog, and create their own
  • Google Reader to track all of these new class blogs
  • Google Sites for student websites and possibly online portfolios
  • GChat for collaboration
  • Google Hangout for even better collaboration and global connections!

 The possibilities are endless!  So now the big question is, should each student design his/her own iGoogle homepage to store all of these gadgets for easy access?  I have a tendency of overwhelming kids with too many programs and applications.  Is iGoogle a solution or is it the same old problem???  I'd love to hear how other teacher keep their kids' technology organized.  And how far do you go with Google?

Happy start of the school year!

1 comment:

  1. i am excited about working with you and getting all Tech-i-fied. this adds a whole new learning dimension to my job, my life and my way of doing things, even though in many ways i am old school. i am so happy to be working with you again this year!

    ReplyDelete